Saturday, November 20, 2010

Visualizing and Verbalizing da Vinci

One component of our plan for visual art includes picture study, which I have not blogged in a year. We are wrapping up our study of Leonardo da Vinci, so I thought you might enjoy a video of us doing a study of "The Annunciation." Last year, I blogged a detailed description of how I have adjusted picture study in a way that emphasizes the importance of mind to mind communication (a challenge for people with autism). It includes a lesson plan for how we do picture study.

The key to making this work is surprise. I do not know what painting she is going to describe in advance. My questions are meaningful because I am letting her know what I am having trouble visualizing. She enjoys watching me go through each picture and stating whether it is the one she described and, if not, why.



No comments: