On Friday, we had a couple of power struggles where Pamela got angry at me. My strategies include:
- Stay calm. If I am calm, she has a greater chance of staying calm.
- Stop and spotlight my emotion. A year ago, she would not have even noticed. Now, she sees when I am upset.
- Make a command decision to scaffold by making the task a bit easier.
- Use body language and slower pace of speaking to spotlight what I am saying.
- Agree to her proposition if it fits my objective for the activity.
- Postpone her proposition until after she meets my objective for the activity.
- Remind her to breathe and use sensory calming.
The follow clips shows our missteps on the path of self-regulation.